These lovely figures started life as Minifig s-series Spanish lancers, or Garrochistas. Before Don Julián was esteemed enough to outfit his squadron with matching uniforms, he rose through the ranks of a modest band of Guerillas made up of irregular Garrochistas, essentially Spanish mounted cow handlers.
The original lances were cast on and had more akin to a telephone pole than a lance, so I replaced it with an in-between wire lance, that still retained some thickness to match the robustness of the figure, but not so thin as to be scale accurate. The next decision was whether or not to cut down the base, which to my eye was simply too large for the figure. In the end, aesthetics won out over preserving the figure integrity (besides, as RG pointed out, I had already trimmed off the lances), so out came the clippers and voila, a more Hinton Hunt style and size of base. Hopefully those two modifications will help the figure nestle in amongst the smaller Hinton Hunts without too mush to draw the eye toward the discrepancy.
The Minifig s-series Spanish Napoleonic range was a very small one, but thank goodness for these Garrochistas! It took awhile to find the seven I have, thanks to some lucky finds and the help of friends, but I really only wanted a small squadron of them anyway, so all is well. For more info on the range you can see some on the much missed and esteemed Clive Smither's blog:
https://minifigssrange.blogspot.com/search?q=Spanish
Without further ado, I give you the Lanceros de Castilla
![]() |
| El Charro himself |
For more information on the Lanceros de Castilla, visit these lovely websites:
https://littlewars.se/spanish/index.html
https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/2018/04/spanish-garrochistas-lancers.html







Beautiful work David…
ReplyDeleteShiny little gems indeed.
All the best. Aly
Thanks Aly. I really appreciate you helping me to realize the potential of the s-range figures!
DeleteA real charactful unit, they'll look good hanging around looking for an opening - and the horses' eyes are nicely down (better than mine) and bring them to life. It was comforting to read that I'm not the only who spots flaws / oversights during the photo sessions.
ReplyDeleteGreat news also about Mesas de Ibor! :o)
All the time Rob! There always seems to be something I missed. Glad the horse eyes met with your approval and thanks for spotting that. It will still liely take a few months to get the last of the infantry spruced up, but the table is completely cleared now so I can look at whether I need to make new terrain pieces, or just recycle some from previous battles.
DeleteThey look superb David......it is also amazing work by the sculptor to capture the prancing horses....you can quite imagine the riders bouncing up and down in their saddles. I hope they have a successful blooding on the battlefield.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I really think the s-series horses were superb. Not sure why they changed them...
DeleteBeautiful, a very interesting unit.
ReplyDeleteThanks Paul. It was nice to be able to discover a little history about them, which is sometimes rare for Spanish units!
DeleteLovely figures and very well painted, interesting unit and should look great on the table, nicely different.
ReplyDeleteThanks Donnie. I suspect all they will do is stand around on the battlefield looking pretty, but you never know, they may get an opportunity to charge!
DeleteI really like these David an unusual unit beautifully modelled and painted!
ReplyDeleteThanks Ian. They took far longer than planned, but worked out in the end. I rather like the wide brimmed hats!
ReplyDeleteExcellent! Always great to see old Minifigs getting some love.
ReplyDeleteOoh, I know I have made it in the world of miniatures when I get a comment by the esteemed David Wood! :) Glad you enjoyed my take on these classics. I have to say, these were a lot more fun to paint that many of those Der Kriegspieler castings I've dealt with!
Delete