Friday, August 28, 2026

Mesas de Ibor - Pre-battle Maneuvers in the Classic Style

 Extremadura, Western Spain, March 16th, 1809 - 5000 Spanish infantry, under General Duke del Parque, have taken refuge in the small village of Mesas de Ibor, roughly halfway between Madrid and Portugal.  After a brief stay, they have decided the village is too unprotected to provide a suitable defense.  A forbidding ridgeline is just 1.5 kilometers away guarding the main approach to Portugal.  General del Parque abandons the village to await the French vanguard on the heights.  Eight small battalions of German infantry in French service under General Leval, the vanguard of Victor's 1st Corp of 15,000, are in hot pursuit.


General Parque's cavalry and artillery lead the way.  The type of cavalry he had is actually unknown, but is listed as a small detachment, so I have opted for a squadron of Minifig s-series Spanish Lancers.  The artillery would likely have been mule drawn and the muleteers in native garments, but I have modelled a later period artillery train equipped with uniforms and horses.  The artillery pieces would likely have been older French style cannons, as Britain is not recorded as having supplied any artillery.  The carriages of the cannon were painted a light blue grey, which would likely have faded to grey over time.

A General of Brigade leads the artillery and cavalry out of Mesas de Ibor.

Detached Cazadores in skirmish order emerge from the vineyards, while a regiment of Marines on the hilltop forms up for departure.

A unit of local guerillas is taking up position in support of the army, while the Regimiento de Santiago takes the road to the West.

An overview of the village.  Four more Spanish regiments are still due to depart (ie, still need to be spruced up and based before the battle)

For this battle, the Marechal de Campo will be playing the part of General del Parque.

Regimiento del Santiago on the road out, with their cigar wielding Colonel to the fore.

I was very glad to have an excuse to use this bridge, that I designed and built using the old Linka plaster casting system for HO scale buildings.

Next up, constructing the ridge!

12 comments:

  1. Huzzah! The excitement is building as we all look forward to stopping those infernal Frenchies, or in this case their German underlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still deciding how to handle the Spanish. In some cases, with good leadership, they fought very well, in others, as in this case, they pretty much just fled the field.

      Delete
  2. Must just add my appreciation of the paint job for Del Parque’s horse, in the last photo the head is a tour de force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, I really appreciate that, as your horses have been a real source of inspiration for me.

      Delete
  3. Super stuff, lovely setting and the figures are of course superb! Look forward to the next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donnie. I enjoyed getting them set up on the board. it will give me an excuse to finally get the Germans into action.

      Delete
  4. It's looking very good so far David.....you've set the scene brilliantly. It's an engagement I know nothing about so I'm looking forward to seeing it develop. (love the bridge...well done!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, and the appreciation of my bridge building efforts. There is not a lot of information about this engagement available, which is nice in a way as it gives me a bit of freedom to tweak things a bit. The biggest change so far will be my Bavarians taking the place of the Dutch battalions.

      Delete
  5. Excellent scene setting I can feel the tension rise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian, can't wait to give Muskets and Marshals another go !

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and inspiring stuff as always David.
    I can’t wait to get my table cleared so I can also get some shiny action in…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete