Just a quick work in progress shot or two this week. The Bavarians are nearing completion at long last. Just some detail work and a little bit of highlighting and they will be ready for basing
Only the sword hilts remain to be done on the backside of the figure. They will need to be black-lined though, so not insignificant.
Buttons, cross straps and shoulder straps are all that remain on the front side, but once again, the cross straps at least will need to be a two-step process so that they will stand out against the crossed belts.
Despite the very long time to get these figures to this stage, there is a great deal of satisfaction in knowing they started out as the figures above. As a reminder, with the help of readers I was able to identify these figures as metals casts of converted Airfix French Old Guard grenadiers. Matt Golding provided some replacement muskets and I suddenly had what I needed to make a unique battalion of Bavarian infantry.
I've been slowly whittling away at a series of smaller painting projects, and I am determined to get these off my desk before starting another unit of 1/72 Napoleonics. On deck I have some figures to supplement a Narnian fantasy army, a base camp vignette for a Napoleonic 28mm army based for a DBA variant, and three elements of French Hussars who have been awaiting paint for a number of years that is embarrassing.
As a final distraction from painting I have been promising to create an appropriate display for the Tennant collection. Over the years, our study space became a repository for all kinds of odds and ends (and one massive oak desk that was a gift from one of my wife's colleagues). Now that or eldest child is settled in Florida and the youngest away in college, I have gotten spousal approval to turn this space into my office and decorate as I wish, so wanted to get a few "before" pictures.
I had intended to paint the woodwork (it is inexpensive pine paneling), but these photos gave it a richness it really doesn't possess that I find quite appealing. It is in actuality quite pale and washed out in appearance. I may try and give it an application of oil or varnish and see if I can save it, before I commit to painting the room.
The futon and artwork will be relocated. I am hopeful that I can find some reasonably priced bookcases or display cases that will take their place and let me show off the Tennant collection.
We have two writing desks or display cabinets in the room that came from my wife's grandparents. I think one will get relocated and the other will stay. I may have to try my hand at installing LED display lights within the cabinet. In any event I wanted to document the state of the study before I get started on bending it too my will.