Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 16, 2018

Project Updates - Old School Napoleonics, Romans and ECW oh my!


Getting close to putting the finishing touches on these elements of Gallic mercenaries serving with my Roman army.  These are the last elements that will make up an all options DBA Marion Roman army that has been a very long time coming.  In the spirit of never completing a project though, it seems to me I could easily add a few more legions and have all I would need for a nice Roman civil war!


 This is a painted English Civil War army that I picked up on the cheap at Nashcon this summer.  I'm re-basing and replacing old "spaghetti" lance made of soft lead with wire pikes.  I'm also touching up the painting and giving the figures a quick wash, which will be followed by a cursory highlighting.  The figures are from a variety of manufacturers, and though not a high end selection of figures or painting, should make a quick and easy opponent for my New Model army.


Not a lot of progress on the 17th regiment of the line, but any progress at all is always a good thing.  Their painted brethren are clamoring for support, so I'll get these to the top of the queue before too long.


These chaps were a major source of distraction over the last couple of weeks.  They will be the next French infantry battalion to be painted, the Middle Guard Grenadiers.  Here we have the command figures: First is a DK 24 artillerist converted to a drummer, next is a recast of a Hinton Hunt Old Guard sapper (cast by the esteemed Jon Cunningham), with a head swap from a DK 16, then a DK 7 officer with yet another head swap from a DK16 that was surplus to my needs and with a broken bayonet, and finally a DK 168 Italian I think, being converted to a standard bearer.  I may keep the backpack and think of him as a fusilier stepping in to keep the colors held high.


I'm considering using this lovely modern figure from Art Miniaturen to act as Colonel.


Finally we have the Grenadiers - DK 16 which are supposed to be chasseurs of the Middle Guard, but to my knowledge the only real distinction in the sculpting would be the chevron shaped cuffs, which you can't really see anyway.  Nothing a little paint won't fix.  These guys were heavily painted and required quite a bit of effort to strip.



Lastly, I could use a little help with this fellow.  I am guessing a Jack Scruby French command figure, but would love confirmation from the experts.  I was thinking I might choose him to represent Colonel Louis Vasserot, who served with the 17th from 1809 until 1813, having led them during the Russian campaign where he was wounded.


 

8 comments:

  1. David, I’d love to see some more photos of the Vasserot figure as I don’t know the Scruby range at all yet he seems full of character - got any other Scruby’s?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a very few that I believe are meant to be Nassauers. A friend of mine had a whole box from a time long past which I was hopeful I could get my hands on, but unfortunately they were lost it appears. They are pretty crude in comparison, but still retain a certain charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, the Col. Vasserot figure is a Scruby-- #3197C from the old catalog. I used to have one done as a brigadier for a Rhinebund formation years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. Thanks so much for confirming my suspicions. Hopefully he will lead the 17th to glory!

      Delete
  4. aren't the Scruby figures still available from Historifigs??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure. I think I had trouble accessing the range last time I checked, but it has been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://historifigs.com/site/
    Worked for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks lewisgunner. I went back and checked as well. I couldn't find a description of what range the figures were from, as they are just referenced as classic figures. Nice to know they are the Scrubies.

    ReplyDelete