Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

British Napoleonic Artillery Comparison and Works in Progress

To kick off the new year I thought I would do a long promised comparison of artillery models.  Thanks to fellow enthusiast "Goya" for providing the scaled down measurements of actual British artillery pieces.  If you have other metal 1/72 scale makes and feel inclined to measure them, send me the measurements and I will add them to the file for reference.  Below is a sampling of artillery pieces in my collection that shows the wide variety of what is interpreted as 1/72 scale. 

From left to right: Der Kriegspieler, Hinchliffe 20mm, SHQ (all 6 pdrs), Hinchliffe 20mm, Hagen, Der Kriegspieler (all 9 pdrs) - of note is that Hagen guns come with both barrel sizes, and as they are heroically scaled, the 9 pounder I have shown here is actually the smaller 6 pounder barrel, so I have taken some license to make a reasonably scaled Hagen artillery piece.

 
A comparison shot for axle width and wheel height.  Note the absence of ammunition chests on the DK gun carriages.
 
As can be seen from the chart, none of the pieces is spot on for 1/72 scale.  The Hagen is by far the cleanest casting and is currently available.  SHQ is also currently available, but the mold is aging and getting the artillery piece into reasonable condition took some work.

 

A New Colonel for the Legione Hanovrienne

 
Colonel Louis-Cyriac Striffler resplendent in his new cutting edge style uniform.

SHQ makes this lovely little model.  The shako cords are a custom addition however.


Leading his battalion
 

Works in Progress


I have spent over a month prepping these Der Kriegspieler figures of the 3rd Dutch Grenadiers of the French Imperial Guard for painting.  Wellington Man provided the initial 24 figures and command which were in great shape, but the core of these were actually from an eBay find and required a great deal of TLC.  I plan on modelling both battalions so am hopeful that getting the figures from Wellington man ready for painting will not be nearly as painful!  Most challenging is that I have re-positioned the figure, turning the head sideways and clipping off the front foot and turning it 90 degrees.  This put a lot of stress on the metal at the ankles and knees, so all of those areas have been strengthened with super glue.

I just wanted an excuse to try out my new light box so this Dapol model of a windmill gets to make a second appearance on my blog.

Apparently you could rotate the whole upper portion of the windmill using the lever positioned next to the stairs.

The Von Kinkel Regiment of Bavarians will be complete once the second battalion is done.  Last night they got their jackets painted so they are coming along nicely.

I forgot I had purchased a couple of Hagen Bavarian Colonels as part of my artillery order.  I prefer the Franznap mounted Colonels below.  Franznap figures are a little more slender and realistically proportioned than the Der Kriegspieler/Hinton Hunt figures, and the Hagen models are much thicker and heroically proportioned.  Both would work, but given the choice I prefer the Franznap's realistic style.

You can see the Franznap Colonels here, with some infantry from the first battalion on deck to serve as a color reference.

Putting the finishing touches on a Royal Horse Artillery battery from the Tennant collection. 

Lastly I have a shot of the new light box that was my Xmas present next to my home-made one.  The extra space and collapsible design are appreciated!


15 comments:

  1. I have an SHQ 9pdr and a CinC 9pdr and light 6pdr, the latter two look smaller SHQ, I’ll see if I can take a photo and measurements tomorrow (the CiC are as yet un assembled).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. Will be nice to add those to the list.

      Delete
  2. I have an old Alberken/Minifig British artillery piece if you you want I can send the details and a photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark,
      I have never seen the Alberken artillery. Is it different from the Hinton Hunt? Would love to have the dimensions and photos if no too much of an ask.

      Delete
  3. That’s going to be a useful little guide to 20mm ordinance...

    I have a bag of unassembled artillery pieces I got with an eBay purchase a couple of years ago, I have been avoiding it since then... but this kind of thing may spur me on to take a proper look...

    You certainly have a lot on the go... I am looking forward to seeing your Dutch Grenadiers take shape...

    The light box certainly makes a difference... I don’t know what I would do without mine...


    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, yes do please. Take a look and let me know what you find regarding the artillery. As for to many projects going at once, that seems to be the way I roll, despite my best efforts to the contrary! Thanks again for the light box recommendation.

      David

      Delete
  4. Col Striffler is just terrific! As for your 3rd Dutchmen, I turned all the heads of my Dutch Grenadiers (who are all pretending to be Chasseurs a Pied or Swiss in my army), but left all their feet facing forwards, with the result that they look like they're on skateboards. I'm in awe of your dedication and attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! If I had thought about modeling skateboards I might have tried! It is such an odd pose. I must admit, it was not as much attention to detail as your having pointed it out, that made me look more closely at it. Turning the feet and heads was the only way I could come up with that made the pose make sense. Most of these were particularly poor castings as well. The ones you sent are a touch better, which is why I saved them for last. I knew this first battalion would be a slog and I didn't want the second to be as bad.

      Thanks for the kind words regarding Colonel Striffler. It was the first time I believe I had tried to sculpt shako cords, so was glad when they came out alright.

      Your guard horse artillery in your last post really is an inspiration! The Limber set is simply fantastic. Those are so much work to pull off but so absolutely worth it.

      Delete
  5. Great article, I have shared your post here https://wargames-directory.com/forums/topic/british-napoleonic-artillery-comparison-and-works-in-progress/

    Why not join and share your future work

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great mix of projects! Colonel Striffler looks exquisite, as does his battalion. The windmill looks like a superb piece!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. More to come unless it gets too cold to head down into the basement and paint. I need to get a heater down there!

      Delete
  7. I do like the colonel, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. It was nice to have a more modern casting to work on for a change!

      Delete
  8. Hi David, you are clearly keeping yourself very busy! Great job on the cords for the mounted officer and great paint job. The comparison between guns in the scale is interesting, I see the same thing in 18mm with Blue Moon having very thick yet small wheels which really ruins the look of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. I am surprised that across the board the wheels are too small. That is a very obvious shortfall. The overall look of the Hagen guns is quite nice if you don't mind the heroic proportions of everything but the wheels. Stepping them down and using the 6pdr as a nine pounder helps. It will be interesting to see how they do on the French side.

      Delete