Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2021

French Heavy Dragoon Cavalry Command

 For Vimiero the French need to have some dragoons, so I set about getting a regiment updated which was featured in my last post.  Today I belatedly bring you the command figures, all painted originally by Richard Tennant with a little additional work by me.

Divisional and brigade level commanders with their aide de camps.


General de Division Louis-Pierre Montbrun with a Colonel of Dragoons



Aide de Camp to General de Brigade Cavrois




General de Brigade Cavrois




Aide de Camp to General de Division Montbrun




Up next: The legion du Midi.

And the painting begins.  Der Kriegspieler miniatures customized to more closely resemble the uniform worn by the Legion du Midi.


While preparing the French Cavalry Command and Legion du Midi, I had the chance to meet with a small group of gaming buddies this Saturday and get in a couple of nice games of DBN (De Bellis Napoleonicis - a DBA variant).


1806 Prussians vs the French

Note the splendid killing field in which the French cavalry are about to enter...


Prussian baggage train element

The octogenarians leading the Prussian army

Brave Carabiniers dashing into the mouth of the Prussian guns!

The French artillery tried in vain to position.

If only the French can reach the hill - they outnumber the Prussian cavalrymen 3-2.

Meanwhile Prussian jagers and light infantry fight to delay the deadly French Legere on the opposite flank from the cavalry attack.

The weight of the Prussian guns is too much for the French Dragoons, who flee the field.

The French heavies charge up the hill to confront Blucher's Red Hussars and the Von Beeren Kuirassiers, but they were to spent by the time they reached their foe.

This scene is actually from our second battle, which followed a more traditional firefight followed by an infantry attack.

The French infantry performed admirably, but on the flanks their forces were soundly defeated, leaving the infantry attack isolated and stalled.


Across the way was a beautiful 28mm ECW game.



13 comments:

  1. Exquisite work, David! Do you recognise the HH originals they're all converted from? Mind you, I think the dismounted dragoon is a Les Higgins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks WM! General de Division Montbrun is FN353 Marshall Bessieres I believe, with as you quite astutely pointed out - a Les Higgins dismounted dragoon officer. I suspected his ADC is a very slightly converted FN/44 (Polish Imperial guard - OPC with separate arm). GdB Cavrois is more than likely FN357 Marshall Soult with some conversion work on his jacket lapels riding FNH 10. His ADC looks to be FN 371, but there are some minor variations there so I could be wrong and would love your thoughts. He also does not appear to be riding one of the standard horses supplied with the staff set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Montbrun is one of my favourite commanders although I'm not sure he'd done enough to deserve a baton. He is now being challenged in the popularity stakes by his ADC! That figure is lovely.
    These old castings are so clean compared to most of those that turn up for sale these days, Richard was a smart man to get in while the HH world was going strong.

    What do we want and when do we want it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, Just now looking a little closer and realizing what I took to be a telescope is supposed to be a baton. In any event looks like a telescope so that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

      Delete
  4. Vimiero! Vimiero! - Thanks Rob. It is a joy to have these vintage castings to work with, although Cavrois' nose still looks like it went through a meat grinder...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Stryker. High praise indeed given your recent posting of command figures!

      Delete
  6. So impressive. I recall looking at long lists of figures in the Wathers catalog 50 some years ago when I discovered the hobby. Looked down on them with distain for years while I pursued shiny objects. Now I've returned to old is best. Minifigs S range and others. If only I could paint like you fellows .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same reaction regarding Minifigs, but now I look at what Aly has been able to do with the s-series figures and just marvel at how beautiful they are. Maybe with age comes a certain amount of wisdom...

      Delete
    2. Age certainly has a lot to do with it…
      I have had a lot of time to practice my painting…😁

      Delete
  7. Splendid command figures David… and a lovely looking game.
    I have to admit that I have never tried DBN… but the way you have modelled your elements makes it rather tempting….

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would hate to tempt that butterfly of yours, but DBN does make for a satisfying game and at only 3-4 figures per element, pretty reasonable to get an army painted up.

      Delete