Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Old School Napoleonics - Der Kriegspielers and Hinton Hunt


At the Siege of Augusta convention I was fortunate enough to find a large lot of Der Kriegspielers miniatures for sale at a bargain price.  They were adequately painted so I am endeavoring to touch them up as best I can without doing a complete repaint, to get them ready for the table top.


First up is the 1st squadron of the 2nd regiment of French Cuirassiers.  Thanks to Matt in New Zealand for the additional cavalry to complete the regiment.
http://thehintonspieler.blogspot.com


The standard bearer in the middle is a converted officer but I am unsure of the make.  He is similar in style and size to the Der Kriegspiers / Hinton Hunt figures, but the base is enormous, being almost a full 1/8th of an inch think.  Anyone know what manufacturer he might be from?


Here we have a foot artillery battery, with what appears to be a Russian gunner wearing a French shako.  The gun itself is plastic, so I have added a few details to the stand to try and distract from the simplicity of the gun carriage.


The crate is a 20mm scenic detail from the WWII FAA line, but looked universal enough to fit in.


The water bucket is a filed down 28mm French Shako and the sponge is an old lance with the sponge sculpted from epoxy putty, as well as a couple of epoxy putty round shot.


No Russian army would be complete without the Pavlov Grenadiers.  This is the first battalion and I will model the third battalion down the road, but it may require a complete repaint so is likely to be some time before joining the fray.

Have to love the red mitre bags!







The Standard bearer is a converted Musketeer which has been decapitated and then had a grenadier head added.  The cast on flags are so large and heavy for the Russians, that I decided it would be best to replace the staff with a wire spear and make a paper flag.  Thanks to the folks at Warflag for making the downloadable flags!  I just print them in black and white and paint over them.  Makes a really nice template for painting the flags.
 http://www.warflag.com/napflags/flaghtml/russindx.htm

9 comments:

  1. Re thick based Hinton Hunt pirated figures: when looking into this a while ago on someone else's blog the most likely candidate seemed to be the Replacement Depot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe I have run across that name before. Thanks for letting me know. Also wanted to say I have very much enjoyed your site. It has been quite useful as I have embarked upon this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the vintage madness, David! Your new regiments are looking fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also started on my own project after recently rediscovering some of my old Hinton Hunt collection.

    Matts blog is to blame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to the world of HH/DK collecting David
    and nice to see your Russians on parade. Ura!

    Tony S

    ReplyDelete
  6. The miniatures look fantastic! And I like the pictures a lot. Regards, Karl

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am just embarking on a Hinton Hunt army building project myself. I have no trove of figures as a starting point (I am starting from scratch) and would appreciate making contact with any of you who may want to sell some of your extras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Cunningham may be able to provide a start. Not the speediest but a helpful gent. His email is cunnjoh@aol.com

      Delete
  8. John Cunningham has a list of Der Kriegspielers he is re-casting. Some are great, some not so great, but it is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete