Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 9, 2020

Preparing for Rolica - Initial Positions

 I decided I needed a little inspiration to help push on with the painting of the 95th rifles, so went ahead and laid out as much of the terrain and the units in an approximate fashion as I could for the assault at Rolica.

The French right flank
The French have lined the steep hillside with infantry, leaving their cavalry and artillery in reserve on the more open ground of the hilltop.
To the left (from the French perspective) of the village of Columbiera, two battalions of British infantry advance.  I just hope my wife never decides to take out the battlefield with her car!  The perspective is a little deceiving and there is actually a good 4-5 feet of room between the car and the battleboard.
The British on the French left flank will be forced to assault a steep ridge across the creek bed.
The way along the stream is currently unguarded...
Here is a nice view of the village and the decorative pole in the middle of the battlefield that keeps our house from collapsing!  The buildings are plaster made with the Linka plaster casting system of moulds.
While the French right appears strongly held, approaching up the road will be 2 full battalions of British riflemen.  The battle at Rolica pre-dates the usual British practice of detaching companies of riflemen and distributing them amongst the brigades.  The Voltigeurs in front here may soon find themselves in dire straights!
The overall field of battle.  This is just a preliminary set up and the distribution of troops is likely to change, but I wanted to see how everything fit on the battlefield.  I am very pleased in the way that the French line corresponds with the historical coverage of the ridge.  I think I at least got the scale right!

12 comments:

  1. A new look blog, a well decorated pole, lovely fir trees and plenty of shiny troops - what a feast! The table looks nice and free at present - not overcrowded - many more and there'll be no scope for manoeuvre. How many more units are there left to do to complete the ORBATs? I note the British left / French right has plenty of open space, is that for British flanking forces to come in? Really getting excited about seeing this played through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. At most I will need 2 more battalions, the 95th and perhaps one more line battalion. The flanking forces actually started to apply pressure as they approached somewhat behind the French line, which would be off the current board. I am considering having a random chance generator play a part in the battle and some Portuguese could show up on one of the extreme edges of the board. The French were aware of the flanking forces and saw them approaching, but there is always the chance that they could have escaped detection...

      Delete
    2. I've only just noticed the livestock - surely they're not Hintons?

      Delete
  2. By Jings, what a splendid layout! I have to say that the Linka buildings are also very impressive. I had no idea they could be made to look so swish. I fear for the livestock, however, what with the 60th being about.
    Yours
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed! They will all be in the pot by the evening after the battle, maybe even before!

      Delete
  3. Hah! Pagasus livestock set I believe: https://www.hobbylinc.com/pegasus-farm-animals-30-plastic-model-diorama-1:48-scale-7006 They are actually very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splendid sight David...
    I look forward to seeing the game play out...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Aly. It has taken a lot longer than I anticipated to get this done! (well, close to done...)

      Delete
  5. The set up looks great. Are you going to play this solo and which rules are you going to use.

    The livestock are a nice touch and it's good to see a proper green wargame table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not exactly sure how yet, but have asked Wellington Man to play a long distance match and he has agreed. I figured since he was the one responsible for getting me into this mess, he could coach me through a game. We will be using Musket's and Marshals. I need to contact Ian and see if he will let me make some chart modifications for the larger battalions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he won't mind. Your house, your rules. This is one of the attractions of OS Wargaming; no-one minds if you tinker with the rules in fact I'd say it was to be encouraged.
      Are you playing by Zoom? I'd love to see it in progress - on mute of course.

      Delete
    2. Given my likely skill level with the rules that will be a resounding no! Besides, I need folks to look forward to the battle report. Of course that does mean I will have to remember to take pictures!

      Delete