Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 25, 2020

An Eclectic Miscellany of Completed Figures

 Over the last few weeks I have finished a number of smaller efforts so thought it might be fun to feature them in a quick post.


First up, the 2/24 Warwickshire Regiment of Foot


The heroes of Rolica 2020, even without my special basing, I thought it high time to give them their glossy coat and a thicker base to aid in handling the figures safely.

Lietenant Colonel William Kelly reviews his Regiment.  He is an SHQ/Kennington figure.

Mr. Tennant tells me the flags were made from toothpaste tube metal originally.  The metal foil/sheet is actually quite robust and so I was able to save these flags.  Nice to be able to retain his original work.  For the figures I touched up any paint that had chipped off, added a very thin black wash to the trousers for a little bit of shading, and various bits of white and red highlighting before giving them a good brush on coat of glossy varnish.

Since I am only using four figures to man the British guns to distinguish them from their larger six figure crewed French battery opponents, I had a few extra British gunners.  I added this SHQ/Kennington horse team and limber as well as a 6 pounder to round out the battery.

SHQ does not actually make a driver for the horses, so those seen here are actually the same castings as the riders seen on the limber, but with their legs cut off and replaced by some miscellaneous extra riders legs I found in my cast offs box.  This whole set was very difficult to get trimmed, cleaned and assembled.  While I am fond of the end result, it is definitely not a set for the faint of heart!

The Battery deployed with the Hinton Hunt gunners painted by Mr. Tennant. 


28mm Perry Miniatures French 7th Hussars for Waterloo


I am continuing to slowly build the elements necessary for the Waterloo scenario of DBN put out by Alex Testo and Bob Carter:  http://www.dbnwargaming.co.uk/

As much as I love the Perry castings, I have gotten so fond of their smaller, older, glossy cousins, that when I look at these now they seem somewhat incomplete.

Nevertheless, the nature of the elements allows an almost diorama like basing which is a real joy to work with.

Only forty or fifty more of these to go...


The Fantasy Trip - 40mm Dungeon Crawl


Inexpensive hard plastic bears and a couple of Tom Meier metal masterpieces make up the "monsters" in this dungeon encounter.  The Viking is a wonderfully sculpted miniature by V&V: https://vminiatures.com/40-mm/vikings_40/vikings_set      


When you're surrounded by that many monsters the only thing to do is run!  The wolf featured in this encounter was painted by my daughter.  She did a great job on her first miniature!

This beastie was a gift from my children many Christmases ago.  I am pleased to have finally gotten "Slug Eat Your Face" appropriately and disgustingly painted.  This was the first time I have ever tried to model drool, which was a pretty fun experiment!


8 comments:

  1. Those are extraordinarily effective conversions, David. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! It's a good thing I enjoy that kind of work because those castings were truly challenging!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They only have been on my desk for two years or so...

      Delete
  3. It's that damn slug again! Also why is there never a Zulu impi around when you need one?

    But lovely paint jobs and I do like the arena in which the slug and bears are facing off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arena was fun to create. It is made from floor tiles produced by Hirst Arts? and the walls are just etched blue insulation foam. The doors were part of a Mantic dungeon scenery set.

      https://www.manticgames.com/games/terrain-crate/fantasy/

      https://hirstarts.com/

      Delete
  4. A lovely mix of lovely toys David...
    I do like how you base your DBN figures it makes for some interesting units...

    Slug Eat Your Face... marvellous... I think Tom originally sculpted him for his son... I always meant to get one...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aly, Yes Slug Eat Your Face came from the imagination of his son. I was fortunate enough to have two children, so my daughter made sure I had his Magical Ballerina Fairy with Rainbow Laser on Flying Unicorn which was his daughter's contribution! You can see it here: http://miniatureminions.blogspot.com/2014/09/magical-ballerina-fairy-with-rainbow.html

      Delete