Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 28, 2021

Bavarian 11th Von Kinkel Regiment Completed!

 I believe I started the second battalion sometime in late November, so a little over two months later I finally have something to show for my efforts!  Unlike the first battalion that is made from some unusual home cast metal conversions of Airfix French Imperial Guard Grenadiers, the second Battalion is largely made from good quality Der Kriegspieler castings.  Unlike a lot of the DK metals however, these were in good shape and were more robust in proportion than some, which quite frankly can get a little spindly at times.

A twenty four figure battalion, somewhat smaller than their French counterparts.  The flag is a paper flag printed from the Napflags site and carried by a converted fusilier.  The Bavarian standard bearers are a bit easier than most since the uniform is that of an enlisted soldier.

The drummer is a Hagen manufactured figure with a base transplant to fit in more with the DK style.  The Battalion commander is a Franznap figure converted from the artillery general's set.


The rank and file are made from DK 175 castings, the officers are Hinton Hunt BVN/1 and BVN/6.  The drummer and sapper are made by Hagen.

The sapper is a bit beefier in style than the DK castings, but as sappers were generally large men, it seemed appropriate for him to be slightly more robust.

The backs of the figures with the backpacks, overcoats, cartridge boxes, scabbards, and webbing that was all black lined, took longer to paint than the front of the figures I think!

Here the first, or Lieb battalion, joins in to complete the regiment, led once again by a Franznap casting representing Lieutenant Colonel Baron Dalwig.  Thanks to Greg Gorsuch for the translation of "The Germans Under the French Eagle", by Commandant Sauzey and hosted on Napoleon online.  Thanks to that resource I was able to get some invaluable organizational information and identify the regimental commander during the 1812 campaign.

Franznap figures tend to be slightly (by just a hair) smaller and slender, but are gorgeously sculpted and cast

In particular the horses are very well done.

Exhorting the troops!

On a lark I picked up some lovely Lamming British command figures thinking they might be usable, but alas they are a bit too big to mix well with the Hinton Hunt Command figures.  Nonetheless I thought it would be nice to document their existence for you collectors out there.

I think I have found a suitable home for them though...

Parting is such sweet sorrow - adieu mon petits

 

21 comments:

  1. I do like the Bavarians and your more convincing coat colour - they are often painted a startling (and unconvincing) electric light blue. The Officer's horse is a bit 'leggy' but has so much life I can forgive him anything, I suppose being a Hinchliffe man animation and dynamism trumps anatomical pedantry every time.

    I'm glad the command figures have found someone who will love them - hopefully not another transatlantic flight or they might get arrested for reckless travel during a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! You may be right, but back across the ocean they go. I'm just glad they will find a suitable home. Thanks for the compliment regarding the coat colour. The existing Bavarian coat that I used as a reference is much darker than the light blue that is so often depicted.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work! I do like the Bavarian uniform,helmet and uniform colour. They go so well together and make for splendid units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great looking uniform. The plumes on the helmets are probably wishful thinking, but as they were sculpted on the figures and I am going for that old school look, thought it too fun to clip them off!

      Delete
  3. This is superb work, David. Two months is hardly any time at all!
    I love the Lammings too, but then I'm a bit biased. do you think they might work if you mounted them on smaller horses?
    Best regards
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matthew. The time really did fly by. I hope the same happens with the Dutch! The Lammings are beautiful, and had they been French I would have been more inclined to at least keep one or two to match the Lamming grenadiers, but I really have enough of the British general staff. I had hoped to convert some for use as Colonels, but just think the stylistic difference and size makes that a difficult match. Our mutual acquaintance with some s-series minifigs I think will find them a perfect fit!

      Delete
  4. Hi David. Lovely battalion, actually two lovely battalions. I'm intrigued as to the origin of the first battalion as being from a plastic Airfix Grenadier, I wonder how the mould was created? But they are very good. Wonderful painting in true vintage style and set off nicely with the printed flags. Very timely for me as I have a couple of Bavarian bases on the way from AB. Mounted officers all rather splendid too of course.
    Regards,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee, will look forward to seeing your AB Bavarians. The AB figures really are a joy to paint! The Lieb battalion made from Airfix originals really was an odd unit. Whoever cast them did a great job, but slapped on a terrible rendition of a musket. I literally had to cut off every single musket and file down the scar. Then I actually re-positioned the opposite hand and added a cast musket that a fellow hobbyist provided for that purpose. Love the generosity of the folks in this hobby!

      Delete
    2. Wow, now that's dedication David, but what a joy to look back at all that work and admire the finished result :) I also noted your coat colour and Rob's comments, will keep in mind for when my Bavarians arrive as the almost sky blue often seen does appear way too bright.

      Delete
    3. This link has the picture of some period references as well as the extant uniform coat I was referring to: http://www.theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=271549

      Delete
    4. Thank you David, that is very useful.

      Delete
  5. In 1978 I went into a shop in Edinburgh that literally had a crate full of painted Hinton Hunt Napoleonics. Must have been 500 or so at 10p each. Was not into the hobby then so picked six as a curiosity. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh! I think we all have a story like that. A great friend had a whole shoe box full of unpainted scrubys he was going to offer me. Unfortunately he gifted them to his son and they have gone missing :(. I got into this whole mess from a find not to dissimilar to what you describe. I found a large number of the Der Kriegspieler figures painted for the Austerlitz campaign at a nearby convention. That $125 has led to a wonderful rabbit hole down which I have dived! I thought I was getting a great deal, but we won't discuss how much I have spent on this endeavor since then...

      Delete
  6. This is wonderful work David and your efforts to convert and adapt figures have been very worthwhile, also two units in two months is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! I wish I could claim two, but only the second battalion was done in the last two months. I painted the Lieb battalion over a year ago I think. Slow steady progress though. I made the mistake of checking the brigade organization for the 1812 Bavarian army and discovered the 11th was brigaded with a battalion of green coated light infantry. I'm going to have to start hunting down some more figures!

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking toys David...

    One day I will get around to painting the three battalions of S Range Bavarians i have 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait - you have an unpainted pile of figures? I can't believe that...

      Will eagerly await the Bavarians whenever the mojo hits you to get them painted.

      Delete
  8. Splendid Bavarian units David, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. I'm hoping the next unit, a 36 figure Dutch Grenadier unit, doesn't break me!

      Delete
  9. Dark blue vs light blue is an important tribal debate here, as you obviously know, David. But we all know what happens to colours when they spend too long in the campaigning sun....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately for me I am sticking to the bright pretty dress uniforms rather than that old nasty campaign look! :)

      Delete