Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2022

Works in Progress - DBX/ADLG Late Medieval or Italian Renaissance and Napoleonic HH Conversions

For quite some time I have wondered what base model Dick Tennant used as Portuguese Dragoons and Mounted Royal Horse Artillerists.  It seems so very obvious now, but not knowing the figure line as some it just took me a looooong time to put the pieces together.  I have two planned conversions in the works to make two Colonels for the remaining Portuguese Dragoon regiments, so I needed to find the right figure.

Below are Dick's Portuguese Dragoon conversions.


Note the shoulder scales.  DT did such a great job with these that for awhile I was convinced he might have opened up a chop shop and was putting random body parts together.  Then I remembered the lead foil in his miscellaneous hobby supplies he sent.

At first I thought the position of the right arm indicated the model started life with a shouldered sword, but if so, why cut it off?

Note the smooth front of the jackets - I believe some file work was key here.

This was a real stumper for awhile, but when examined closely, or blown up as in this photo, it becomes clear that the shabraque and scabbard and sword hilt were custom made for each trooper.

Lastly, note the remnants of the button hole impressions on the trousers.  DT's fine paintwork largely concealed these, but in my effort to add some dimensionality to the figures, my wash for shading the figure inadvertently showed up these depressions.

The Mounted gunners were a similar mystery, but I soon realized with the exception of the officer, they were derived from the same figure.


The boots and shouldered sword make this officer figure likely to have started life as a Light Dragoon in Tarleton.

The gunner on the other hand shows the same custom addition of a scabbarded sword as the Portuguese Dragoons as well as the aforementioned trouser/overall buttons.
  
Note the hand positions of the mounted gunner, that in my mind makes it clear is the same figure as the Portuguese Dragoon.

The end result of all of this is that I finally realized both the Portuguese Dragoons and the mounted artillerists must have been derived from the same figure.  And the winner is: BN 28 mounted on a cavalry horse (Anyone know which one?  DT ground the bottom of his bases flat for a good glue surface, so the codes on the bottom of the bases are usually missing).  You can see a picture of the figure here:

http://findthatfigure.blogspot.com/search?q=BN+28




In other projects on the workbench, I have been preparing an addition to my Late-Medeival/Renaissance army for DBA/ADLG.  Unfortunately I have just learned that I have another commitment the weekend of the ADLG tournament, so I am afraid these poor fellows may not make it to the table for some time.

Here we have a mish-mash of Ral Partha Gendarmes and German Knights with Thunderbolt Mountain (same sculptor, Tom Meiers) lances and axes and flails.  Also at left are a commander from the condottieri line as well as a Reiter and a Dellis from the Ottoman line.  The Reiter and Dellis will be used as Stradiot light horse.

Ral Partha fantasy foot knights

These really work pretty well as 16th century knights

Ral Partha really had only one very awkwardly sculpted English longbowmen, so these are borrowed once again from a fantasy line sculpted by Tom Meier and sizeed as 25mm just like Ral Partha, so a very compatible fit. 

They are part of the Thunderbolt Mountain Arthurian line.  Eventually I will use wood putty to build up the base and paint it to match the rest of the army.

The Billmen are also from the Thunderbolt Mountain Arthurian line.

Here we have the city militia used to fill out the ranks of the professional men at arms or city garrison.


Here's the rest of the army awaiting their compatriots:










8 comments:

  1. These are extraordinary David! Can you tell us a bit more about them?
    All the best, WM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! I knew I would get into trouble publishing the pictures without commentary, but wanted to make sure they would still expand. I'll try and get to it soon, but think tonight we are going to gather by the fire and crank up the VCR - Yes we still have one and it still works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really tight painting, especially belts / buckles and my personal Bête Noire - buttons! Luckily I read your comments and will patiently await the outcome of your combat with Blogger for the narrative to acompany these beauties.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Dick Tennant for you. He was such a precise painter. I'll be using these as a reference when I paint the Portuguese Colonels.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful toys David….
    I love the Ral Partha? medievals…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ral Partha Indeed! Fantasy and historic lines as well as the Thunderbolt Mountain line by the same sculptor.

      Delete
  5. That turned into quite a detective story - the care you're lavishing on DT's collection is a fabulous tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Rob. It has to be said that I love this kind of stuff. Sometimes I think the organizing and refurbing is more fun than taking a unit from start to finish. That being said, I have managed to find a considerable number of HH and Alberken DoW figures that I am eager to dive into painting. I have a few things in the queue first though, so may still be quite awhile before you see them finished.

    ReplyDelete