Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Monday, September 11, 2023

Combined French Line Grenadier Battalion for Vimeiro, Portugal - 1808

To pull off the battle for Vemeiro village I had to add some additional Grenadiers to make up the four battalions of combined Grenadiers that Junot massed as his reserve.  Thanks to Wellington Man, I got to use some fantastic classic figures for these additions.  The first was made from some classic Garrison figures, and now this second battalion is made with some really lovely Lamming figures.

The Lammings have a very nostalgic toy soldier charm.

So much detail on the Grenadiers!

This pose of attack shows they mean business!

For some reason the back of the French uniform is always more interesting to me than the front.  I love the look of the turnbacks and cow hide packs, not to mention the "monkey butts" on the back of their bearskins.

A keen observer noticed that the lamming sculptor put the French drum on upside down!

You have to love the moustaches of the Grenadiers!

General de Division Francois Kellermann led the Grenadier reserve, along with Colonels St. Clair and Maransin.

Kellermann is made from a Der Kriegspieler copy of the original Hinton Hunt figure.

Love all of the bullion!

This is one of my favorite sculpts.  I love the way his hand rests on his hip somewhat behind his back.

All four battalions of the reserve massed for the attack.  Next, the terrain and one more regiment of Dragoons!


14 comments:

  1. Stunning work there David…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! What do we want? Vimeiro part deux! When do we want it? Maintenant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finally stoked to get it going. I am re-reading Peter Edward's excellent description of the battle and that has really helped me to formulate what I want to simulate on the battlefield.

      Delete
  3. You can never have too many French Grenadiers (unless of course you are playing on the allied side) - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Stryker, I am thinking after this last slog with the grenadiers, that there may be such a thing as too many! The real question is whether or not to rate them as "A" class. They really didn't perform all that well.

      Delete
  4. That's a formidable looking formation there David. I'd be reluctant to send them into combat though, they might get those nice uniforms dirty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That may explain why they didn't take the town...

      Delete
  5. A very splendid battalion indeed! You've done those Lammings proud, and the final line up at the end of Hinton Hunts, Lammings, Garrisons and Alberkens is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WM! That is quite the collection of different figure manufacturers in that final shot. There are a few DKs in there as well, so quite the mish mash. Thanks again for introducing me to the Garrisons and Lammings.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I always appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see old figures like these. I liked the classic basing too, reminds me of my old Charles Grant wargame articles I cut out of magazines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, so glad you like them and appreciate the basing. I was going for a retro toy soldier look and hope I have achieved that!

      Delete