Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 1, 2023

The First of the 54s! A Classic Marcus Hinton Sculpt (and some Romans...)

 54mm Marcus Hinton Voltigeur - Legion du Midi

Recently I found a collection of 54mm Hinton Hunt and Stadden miniatures that were priced in a way that I couldn't say no, so added them to my collection of classic Napoleonic miniatures from the dawn of tabletop wargaming in the 1960s.  I coerced some friends into painting them, just so that I would have a keepsake from friends around the globe who I have only met virtually.  The first of these to arrive is a simply lovely Voltigeur of the Legion du Midi painted by none other than Alistair Morrison of the UK.  Not only did he take the time to repair the somewhat battered figure and meticulously prep the sculpture itself, but he also fashioned this wonderful plinth replete with brick work and autumn leaves.  I am one lucky puppy!!!

I will let Aly's work on this figure speak for itself.












I noticed on Aly's blog that he has recently been posting some repaints of late Romans.  
https://alystoysoldiers.blogspot.com/
 While these are no where near the same quality as Aly's, I just happened to be adding some elements to my own Marian Romans to make them playable for L'Art de la Guerre, so I thought; why not post them here as well.



My first use of round bases for command elements.  I like it!

While I do like these, they were definitely a speed paint.

These were some earlier additions when I had a bit more time to paint them with more of an eye for detail.


Not sure I have the patience for shields like these anymore...


I want to say these are Xyston miniatures, but someone please correct me if am am mistaken.


Just a final word of thanks to Aly for taking the time to do such a wonderful job on the 54mm Hinton Hunt Voltigeur.  What a treasure I have in figures and friends!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind comments about the figure David…
    He was a lot of fun to paint… It made me smile to think that most of my colleagues are younger than that little chap 😁.
    The Romans look damn fine… It’s always interesting to do a bit of scale jumping.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aly, really grateful you were willing to take on this challenge and get the party started. As for the Romans, they really are wee tiny in comparrison!

      Delete
  2. Yes, Aly has set the bar rather high... and the plinth! He's obviously keen to make sure his will stand out above the rest... ;o)
    So, those 15mm are what you call speed painting! They look like pretty considered paint jobs to me - that elephant base is really compact with the elephant only just fitting on - I suppose that's a ADLG base-size thing? Just to be celar, I like the nelly basing, I'm not keen on acres of empty base around a lonely casting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right! Now I'm going to have to shop around for an even bigger plinth! The Neely's base size is consistent for most DBx games, which is why he is at a bit of an angle. :)

      Delete
    2. What's a 'Neely'? :o) And surely Nelly is a she?

      Delete
    3. You've never heard of Neely the Nelly? Where have you been hiding? :)

      Delete
  3. Very nice work from both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stryker. When do we get to see a new post on your blog or did those rocket troops take everything out of you?

      Delete
  4. Aly's soldier speaks for himslef very eloquently. Simply superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't he though? I'm worried about the wisdom of showing him off though, as I'm thinking he is a bit intimidating in all of his plinthed glory!

    ReplyDelete