Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

A Bavarian Welsh and French Confection of Metal Delights

Today I present a lovely assortment of miniature sculpting styles and nationalities.  The last couple of months I have been preparing for an international re-creation of the battle north of Vimiero, but while that battle has been progressing over email, I have been busily painting and am happy to show the results of those efforts below (as well as a few spoiler photos of the battle).


The Royal Welsh 23rd Fusiliers.  Originally painted by Dick Tennant

I wanted the Battalion to have command figures in bearskins, and was a few figures short of the 36 figure standard battalion, so added a Der Kriegspieler NCO as regimental standard bearer, officer and drummer.  The rest are Hinton Hunt originals painted by Mr. Tennant in his usual extraordinary style.  I refreshed the paint a bit and added some shading.

The flags had to be replaced unfortunately, so I decided I might as well incorporate some Hagen tassels from their flag pole set.

The DKs fit in just fine with their Hinton Hunt brethren in this instance, which was a relief!

A Waterloo 1815 metal casting from their command set, slightly modified and demoted, serves as Colonel Ellis of the Fusiliers

I love the animation of this figure as he peers forward over the neck of his horse.

Here we have an Art Miniaturen casting of Roustam Raza, Napoleon's body guard and secondary valet.

You have to love all of the gold on the oriental costume which he would wear on ceremonial occasions.

The horses bridle was my favorite part!

On deck is the 76th Infantry Regiment of the Line, so I thought I would go ahead and get their Colonel and Chef de Bataillon done while I was working on command figures.

On the left is an SHQ casting and on the right, perhaps my all time favorite sculpt, a Franznap Colonel.

The different sculpting styles is really evident when seen from behind.

More Franznap - a Bavarian six horse artillery train.

Limber riders and gun complete the set.

The traces were a little fiddly to put together, but come as part of the set cast in metal.

Altogether a fantastic piece.

A better view of the artillery drivers and the traces.

I won't be doing any more six horse artillery trains until I model Napoleon's beautiful daughters - 12 pounders in the Imperial Guard artillery reserve.

Bavarian light artillery piece

Note the attached bucket as well as the cast on drag chain.

Just another beautifully detailed piece by Franznap.

Lastly a few teaser shots from the ongoing battle north of Vimiero.  The troops have temporarily laid down their arms while I take care of some health matters, but I hope to be up and running again in a couple of months.  Till then, happy gaming!

 






18 comments:

  1. That is a real feast for the eyes, really lovely looking figures and so very well painted. A proper treat for me on this wet and windy morning in Scotland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. Hope I am still able to get up to Scotland this summer and see a Scottish windy morning for myself!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful looking models , I do like your style of painting .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shiny happy ( tin) people - they look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that's an REM song! Now if I could just get them to hold hands. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYOKMUTTDdA Glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  4. Delightful as ever, but the most important thing is to get well soon - best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. Was glad to get this post up before going in. I'll be back soon and stronger than ever!

      Delete
  5. That a delight with my morning coffee David! Some fine painting there, I especially like the leaning mounted officer, great animation. The HH figures are great and I recognise the sword waving officer in bearskin as I painted him when I did a British HH unit for Ian (Stryker) quite a few years back, I commented at the time how much he added to the character of the unit. Battle look excellent too, love the highlanders. All in all a real treat for the eyes :)

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee. Glad to know some of your figures are wandering around in Stryker's armies! Had hoped to see them in person this summer, but not sure if I will be able to get across the ocean after all. If not this summer, soon. Till then all the best and keep painting!

      Delete
  6. Your two line infantry officers look great. I offer you this table of the ranks of the French infantry.

    http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/planche_empire.php?uniformes=GradesInf1FR.png

    You will find that the battalion commander wears an epaulette on the left shoulder and a counter-epaulette on the right shoulder.

    Mamluk Roustan is simply splendid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! You caught me. I had actually intended to shave off the fringe on one of the epaulets, and somewhere along the line just forgot to do it. I'll come back to him when I start working on the 2nd battalion of the 76th. Glad you appreciated Roustam Raza. That is a pretty magnificent figure!

      Delete
  7. This is really extraordinary artistry, David. Absolutely beautiful work.
    The balloon's-eye view of Vimiero is also very welcome!
    Get well soon my friend.
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like that shot of the battlefield. :) Fortunately it is a couple of turns old so a bit dated. Appreciate the painting praise! I am eager to re-start the battle so hopefully it will make good therapy - as long as the action isn't too exciting for my ticker!

      Delete
  8. Marvellous toys David…
    I do like the Fusiliers….

    I’ve been doing some research and looking at made up history… and I think that you will find that the Fusiliers were rushed to Vimiero to reinforce Blantyre’s command…

    Honest…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider replacing the 88th with them as the 88th has not had the shiny treatment yet, but having consulted the tomes on made-up history, I'm pretty sure that both the 88th and the 23rd were never on the battlefield at Vimiero together. Just sayin'... :) Glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete
  9. The fusiliers are great, Mameluke is wonderful, I do like the Art Miniaturen range. Like the Bavarians as well, the battle is great. Always enjoy your posts, pushes me on with my own 20mils.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Paul. It's great to know my work is appreciated and really nice to have a community of folks from whom we can find inspiration. I am always in awe of the great work folks do in this hobby, and frankly how friendly and approachable. Best to you.

      David

      Delete