Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Scrubylicious - Resurrecting Some Classics

 For this Easter weekend I felt it appropriate to make a post about resurrection, in this case some wonderful old castings originally sculpted by Jack Scruby, now ably curated and cast by Mike Taber of Historifigs.  While the molds are beginning to show their age, I was pleasantly surprised by how clean the castings turned out.  The detail is somewhat sparse, I suspect more as a product of the era they were sculpted than in the molds.  This sparsity of detail actually lends them a classic toy soldier charm and I am very excited to see how they will turn out with a little paint.

3196c

This is a two piece casting mounted on a GST-horse-1 in 25mm, this is Mike's standard for mounted officer figures. It is a combo effort: Greenwood, Scruby, and Taber.

3076 one piece casting



Here is a painted example from my early days starting in on this project. 



3195c

This is an interesting figure with either an open jacket or a somewhat short greatcoat.  Regardless it should make for a nice unique figure of a General officer.

3197c

This one will make an excellent Colonel so I may be begging Mike for some more!

Thanks again to Mike Taber at Historifigs for dragging out these old molds and spinning up some officers for me!

10 comments:

  1. I like those old Scruby’s..are those in 25mm? I game with Scruby 30mm and 20mm...Gary zaharek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun aren't they. Smallish for 25mm, really 1/72 scale.

      Delete
  2. Classic with a capital C David…
    Sadly Scruby’s don’t mix well with my S Range Minifigs…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in constant awe that you can make those early minifigs look so good. In your hands they really do turn out fantastic. I hope I can do justice to these old Scrubys!

      Delete
  3. I can't seem to get Historifigs to respond. Are they doing business again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know. Mike was doing me a favor for a trade though.

      Delete
  4. Very pleased to see that you Scrubes in the tubes, man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, lovely looking figures! If Jack Scruby sculpted those horses he was either an equestrian or a very keen observer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the horse for the 2 piece castings was originally sculpted by/for Greenwood and Ball, and has been through a couple of iterations. The one piece may be Scruby's work, though I remember reading that he adapted some of the Greenwood and Ball work, so who really knows.

      Delete