Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 2, 2023

Voluminous Voltigeurs - the 6th Legere in Skirmish Order

 The previous iteration of the 3rd battalion of the 6th legere was a mish mash of Der Kriegspieler, Hinton Hunt and Alberken figures, all mounted in skirmish order.  The rather odd combination of figures never really impressed me, so I decided to model some additional Hinton Hunt Voltigeurs as if the three battalions sent forward all of their Voltigeurs in a skirmish line.  The figures below are meant to represent a portion of the 6th Legere when in skirmish order, with Voltiguers from all three battalions.  In addition I added a Carabinier command group, which along with 6 other Carabinier figures, will serve as the regimental reserve.  I'd love to find a few more Alberken FN05 Chasseurs firing, but until such a time, the regiment will only field one skirmish unit of Chasseurs.

http://lazylimey.blogspot.com/2008/12/alberken-andor-early-minifig-20mm-fn05.html


You really have to love the colpacks with their colorful plumes and of course the tri-color epaulets.

Still working on my technique for the brown and white leather backpacks for the French.

Voltigeurs firing - a mix of Hinton Hunt (standing) and Alberken (kneeling) figures.  These close cousins mix just fine.

The only major difference is the backpacks on the Hinton Hunt figures.




While I love the commanding officer in colpack, I think I can safely say the standard bearer is an example of a failed conversion of an old DK figure.  :(  Some day he may get replaced.  I like the flag though.

He looks pretty good from behind...

One the painting desk - Another battalion of combined Grenadiers for the assault on the Vimeiro Village itself.  This battalion will be made from Lamming figures.

 

Thanks to Wellington Man for these fantastic figures!

12 comments:

  1. Another great unit - those HH and Alberken do mix in well, although it'd be nice if they either all had or all didn't have backpacks. I often wish that manufacturers hadn't bothered with backpacks as we paint up our little men in their best parade dress they would be no more inauthentic if they left their backpacks behind - it would make the painting easier. But then I guess they would look less 'Napoleonic'?
    Also, great news to see another unit for Vimeiro on the way - is the last required for the refight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, The combined Grenadiers should be the last new unit required I believe.

      Delete
  2. PS do keep the colour bearer, he's part of the history and character of the unit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given how much other stuff there is yet to paint, I suspect you will get your wish and this gentleman will lead the reserve for many years to come.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Stryker. Hard to go wrong with these colorful lads!

      Delete
  4. Great hard to get old figures. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting pricier the harder they are to find, which frankly is probably a good thing, given how many I have yet to paint!

      Delete
  5. Lovely stuff! I'm particularly intirgued by the Alberkens. I wasn't aware that Albert and Ken had made anything like that.

    I'm expecting great things from your Lamming Grenadiers
    Best regards
    WM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks WM. I'm pretty certain the kneeling voltigeurs are Alberken. The style is so similar to the chasseurs firing that I am 99% sure that is what they are. The Lammings are coming along - only hope they look as good as the Garrisons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Superb stuff David…
    I can’t believe that I nearly missed this post…

    Looking forward to seeing the finished Lammings

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Aly, it is hard to keep an eye on all the great blog posts these days. I don't know about you, but the 'follow' function never works for me, so I only see new posts when I go look for them.

      The Lammings are coming along steadily, but they will definitely be awhile. Those Frenchies have a ton of fiddly details on their uniforms.

      Delete